Saturday, June 12, 2010

Great Day For Some Ice Cream

Since it's been so hot this summer, we have been eating a lot of ice cream, popsicles and sorbet. So, that adds up, not only the money but the calories and preservatives. So, we went and bought an inexpensive ice cream maker! I did a lot of research on affordable, quality machines because my fear is using it once and then it becoming just one of 'those' kitchen gadgets that never get used. I figure it will pay for itself after about 10 uses. I want to be able to control the ingredients that go in as well as make creations all my own. The first recipe was a lemon-blackberry sorbet. I had all of those lemons from my fruit stand purchase, so I squeezed the juice out of them and then added some frozen blackberries to the mix. It turned out ok. I think it's too tart, I tried to limit the sugar as much as possible, but I think it could have used more. So, today Mason wanted peanut butter cup ice cream. The recipe calls for whole milk and heavy cream. I substituted 2% milk and light cream, the end result was VERY rich. I could only imagine what the full-fat dairy products would have been like! I think I'm going to play with that, because even though the light cream is 'light', there are still a ton of calories in it. I also want to make sure it freezes well, though. In the machine right now is a coffee-toffee ice cream, I made it myself, I figured once I figured out the 'basic' recipe I'd start creating my own, and this is the first non-recipe experiment! I hope it turns out! Yum. I want to try a fruit ice cream next, with berries. You can also make slushies in it, so that makes Mason happy!




Here is the handsome [no so little] guy! I swear, he changes everyday, he looks older everyday, he needs to slow down!


Summer means NO SHOES! Or at least flip flops everyday!


I can not wait to see this movie:

I love Toy Story 1 & 2, so I'm sure this one won't disappoint! I'll wait for a super hot day to take Mason so we can enjoy the cool air conditioning of the movie theater.

No comments: