Sunday, June 06, 2010

Do You Know The Muffin Man?

Yes, he lives in my house. Mason the Muffin Man. Let's just say, to put it nicely and to keep things not so disgusting on my blog, that Mason needs a bit more fiber in his diet. So, I frequently get him the FiberOne Bars and recently we saw a box of FiberOne muffins in the freezer section of the grocery store. Banana Chocolate Chip to be exact. So, we buy them and at roughly $1 a muffin, I was expecting a WAY bigger muffin than what was in the box. So, he eats one for breakfast on Saturday, he said they were so good, he wanted another one. So, I let him. Little did I know that he had also eaten one of the FiberOne bars in between muffins. Oh. My. Gosh. Is all I have to say. Now, from experience I used to eat the bars because they were so delicious, but the consequence of eating one of these fiber-infused bars was so painful (like, hunched over in a ball painful) I no longer care to indulge. But back to the muffins, he ended up eating all 4 in 2 days, and at the price of the box, I'll give it a go at making these things myself, minus all the preservatives. I bought whole wheat flour, soy flour (which is loaded with protein, also) and I had on hand flax seed, chia seeds (omegas) and then loaded them with walnuts, mini chocolate chips, and bananas. I did use oil, but only 1/4 cup and replaced 1/4 cup with applesauce. YUMMY!! They got 2 thumbs up from Mason and I have to agree, they are delicious! It made about 28 muffins at a fraction of the cost of the FiberOne muffins and I feel better about eating these and giving them to Mason.

No comments: