Saturday, July 04, 2009

{Happy 4th Of July}


Isn't this photo amazing?? For more unbelievable fireworks photos, click here.

I could not have a 4th of July post without mentioning the annual Dogs Deserve Better Chain Off Event. This event has grown from a handful of local people (I know, I was there back in 2004!) in a small little town here in PA, to a huge national event! I am so proud to be part of a group that stands up for dogs who cannot stand up for themselves. Please take the time to read the website and the updating that is done during the events nationwide. I adopted one of my dogs at a Chain-Off event in State College. Jayde, who was about 6-7 years old at the time had been chained all her life. She has nothing but love for all the people involved in helping her get the life she deserved for so many years. She's getting older, slower and heavier as the years go by, but I know she will be forever thankful for getting her out of that hell hole she lived in. I have had dogs my entire life, I feel every kid needs a dog. What better way to set an example for your kids than to love a pet and have them take part in the responsibility of caring for that pet?

The kind of people I personally have dealt with in DDB (and I don't do it on a regular basis like the girls in the main office do) disgust me. I don't care if you 'claim' to love your dog, say he/she has adequate food and water, if you chain or pen your dog for the entire length of his or her life, that is ABUSE. Imagine the day after day loneliness, the wondering IF you are going to get fed. The HOT summer months (usually without shade), the bitter cold winter months, where it hurts us to even have to walk outside to get the mail. Just imagine that day in and day out, year after year. It's pathetic. It's disgusting. If you want a dog, they are a member of the family, not a yard ornament. I have seen cases where dogs collars have been embedded with maggots growing inside. I've seen matted hair so bad that the skin of the dog has become raw. People say they get dogs for protection. What do you think a dog chained to a box or stuck in a pen is going to do for you?

During the 'Dog A Day Rescue Challenge' this past June, a dog had a 15 pound logging chain tied around his neck, what for?? How about doing some house training and some dog training classes and have that dog become part of your family?? That would be too easy, I guess. It's just easier to not have to be bothered by a barking, needy dog, I suppose. All three of my dogs were formally chained dogs. They are the best dogs anyone could ask for. So, if you know of anyone who abuses a dog or know of a dog in need don't be afraid to call the humane society, the police or even DDB. Keep calling until someone listens. Dogs deserve a better life than this. I won't stand for animal abuse and neither should any of you who are reading this. It is only a matter of time that PA adopts anti-chaining laws. They are all over and they can not get here soon enough. So, this 4th of July, I want to celebrate the freedom that many, many more dogs have today because of DDB.

No comments: