Friday, July 17, 2009

*CocoYUCK*



So, I've been thinking about picking up a coconut at the store for awhile now just so Mason can have the whole 'we cracked open a coconut' experience, you know, like every kid should have. I remember when I was a kid my Mom Mom bought a coconut and hit it so hard with a hammer that it cracked open instantly. The coconut milk went flying everywhere! I thought that I had some knowledge going into cracking open this rock hard fruit (is it fruit or a nut??), but I guess not. I first took a drill and drilled through one of the holes. The milk came out and I was very thrilled to taste it, that was until I actually tasted it. OMGosh, was that ever horrible, is there a word more horrible than horrible? If there is that's what the milk tasted like. It almost tasted like it had alcohol in it and that is not appealing to me. So, after failed attempts with the drill (I was afraid of losing a digit with it) I opted for the good old metal spatula! I hit that thing so hard and it finally, piece by piece, came apart. Then I peeled the rest of the brown spots off the back and couldn't wait to dig into the flesh. EWWWW, I love coconut and I do buy the shredded unsweetened kind at the store and it doesn't taste like this. Uhh, I'm getting sick just thinking about it. Maybe I got a bad one? I don't know but I do want to know WHO would buy a whole coconut when you can buy a fresh bag for about $2? Not me.


It's pretty, though!

Here are some highlights of Jason and Mason's trip to Citi Field:




I found (and tried) and new recipe today. It was a much lower calorie/fat version of blueberry cobbler. You place frozen berries (any kind will do) in the bottom of a baking dish. Sprinkle an entire box of cake mix (just the mix, I used french vanilla cake mix) on top of the berries and then pour Sprite Zero (about 1 1/2 cups) on top of everything in the dish. Make sure all the cake mix is moist with the soda. Bake about 20 minutes (until golden brown) at 350. It makes a really crisp topping to the berries and it is really sweet, which is what I was looking for. Try it, it's good!

Hopefully we will be getting Mason's baseball game in tonight, it was raining pretty hard this afternoon. Then back to the field tomorrow for all day tournaments, yeah.

1 comment:

A Joyful Chaos said...

How interesting! I have often wondered about coconuts. But since reading this I don't think I'll be trying any fresh coconut!