Sunday, March 22, 2009

}Altered Planters{

There is this local surplus store that I just love. You really never know what they are going to have in, so frequent stops are the way to go. It's strange that the only department in the store that the stuff never sells is the scrapbooking/crafty stuff. So, there is always plenty to choose from, even if I did buy 10 boxes of 'Prima look-a-like' flowers for fifty cents the week before, it doesn't stop me from buying 10 more! One can never have too many paper flowers. I have also found a nice selection of clear stamps for .75 cents each, and that really knocks my socks off (!!) because these things go for A LOT more than that at a regular store. But I had some extra time while I was at the store last week and I discovered these:



I bought 3 because I like to buy things in odd numbers for some reason (a touch of OCD?) for .50 each. I thought the pattern was ugly, and they had this really weird metal flower piece that slides into a slot on the front that is removable (thank goodness), but it could become something. Then we went to Michael's on Friday night after our dinner at Panera and I got these ADORABLE stickers from the 'Friendly Forest' line of (I seem to forget the name of the company that makes them at the moment) scrapbooking stuff. I just LOVE it! I figured I wouldn't really have a picture to scrap with the theme 'Friendly Forest', so I decided to use them for this 'planter project'. I think they look fabulous!! Here they are:










First, I spray painted them black as a base coat and then I used Tim Holtz crackle paint on all four sides of each and then distressed them using a nail file (Emory board, this has to be one of my fav tools!) and then I placed the stickers on and added some rhinestones. Finally I used some grungeboard letters that were inked and crackle finished to make the letters. Hope you liked them, too!

No comments: