Wednesday, May 13, 2009

{Fun Clock Project}

I purchased this item at the Goodwill for a whopping $4.99, yes, yes, well out of my usual $2 price range, but boy did I see potential in this thing!!



Here is the finished project:







The clock was in working order, 'BONUS'-[spoken like Ted from Bill and Ted's Excellent Adventure!!]. The back was super simple to get off and the extremely ugly 'decorations' were not that easy to get off, but I just turned the wood pieces over and had a fresh start! I used some Cosmo Cricket paper, Prima overlays (at least I think that's what they are!), Tim Holtz numbers, and just a little bit of this and that. I L.O.V.E it! The frame part wasn't what I envisioned, but it turned out better than what I expected, I love when that happens! I spray painted it black and used some blue distress paint, but it started to flake off, so I just took off what would come off with sandpaper and then used some alcohol ink to distress it a little more. It's a little hard to see in the picture, but the clock part says, 'Time goes by so fast'.

On a side note, I am having a MAJOR ant issue. I searched for natural repellents and found vinegar and cinnamon, but it has not worked. Feeding them poison is last on my list, so if anyone could give me some suggestions, I'd appreciate it. The commercial for the ant killer makes it sound like so much fun for the ants to feast on 'food' that's poison and I just think that is plain cruel. But on the other hand, I can't have these ginormous ants in my kitchen any longer.

That's all for now!

4 comments:

madcapfrenzy said...

Very cool. I love it! Great colors and the vintage look is wonderful!

Gwen said...

A beautiful memento. I seem to recognize the guys in the picture :) Very sweet!
As for the ants, don't give up on the vinegar. I have read that ants follow a scent trail and you need to disrupt that. So if you find one on the counter, kill it (sorry) and wipe down the area with vinegar. Never heard that about cinnamon. You may have to go with ant traps.

Linda said...

Can I just say WOW!

deiha said...

love your vision