Thursday, August 27, 2009

Back Off, Would You??

Ok, Ok, I've only gotten like a ton of requests to update my blog in the past few days (ok, only 2, but in my blog world that's A LOT!!). The truth is, I did get an entire (and very lengthy) blog written the other day and just as I was about to post it, something happened. I don't know what, but my computer just started to go crazy and then kicked me offline and didn't save ANYTHING. So, I was mad. Really mad. But I'm over it now and so here I am.

I won't reject these apples:



I have been wanting to go to this farmer's market on my drive to work for some time now. It is always packed and very difficult to find a parking spot. I decided to find out what all the rage was (you know, all the rage that a farmer's market could generate). It was so well organized and clean and cheap that I soon understood why it was always so crowded. I bought some red and yellow bell peppers, cucumbers and sitting all alone under a sign that read, "Reject Apples $2.50" was this box of assorted apples that looked perfectly fine to me. All these apples for $2.50!! Wow, that's a deal. I knew that I could turn this into something tasty! I was so thrilled that I got to keep this little box that they came in that I never even told the cashier that she ripped me off a quarter (hey, I'm cheap) but I thought it was a fair trade. I decided to make some homemade applesauce:



It was a lot easier that I thought it was going to be. I sliced them up and cooked them down, I added a couple of pears (ha ha a pair of pears!!) and then added some Cinnamon and sweetened it with splenda. Delicious! It was best warm, but it is still really good cold.

Then, I got this really amazing recipe off of a new Food Network show and decided to try it, with a few substitutions. It called for a homemade pie crust, but honestly, I don't have the time (or ambition) to make a from-scratch pie crust. It was a Potato-Bacon Torte. You just layer sliced potatoes, crumbled bacon (I used fakeon) and Parmesan cheese and then pour heavy cream scented with thyme on top (I used light cream because I thought it would really cut down on the calories and fat because, you know, the potatoes, parm cheese and pie crust are SO healthy!). But anyway, it was delicious. I paired it up with some scrambled eggs and some of the applesauce that I made. Yummy!



Look at the delicious flaky layers:



I pass this look-out point on my route to State College and wanted to get some pictures. I pulled over and got out only to be met with two Penn State buses full of college kids, perhaps studying the potential effect of global warming on this cigarette-littered piece of history?? I don't know but nothing makes you feel old like a bunch of 18-22 year old's discussing the effect of not having health-care reform while sitting right next to you on the only available bench to enjoy the view. So anyway, I snapped a few pics before I felt like I was going to be pressured into voting for Obama in '12. Here it is:



It was pretty anyway!
Well, I've got a lot more to say and pictures I want to post, but right now I am scrambling around to get some things done for football and I really want to go walking. So, I will post again, soon!!

1 comment:

Gwen said...

Just catching up with the blog, and it really lifts my spirits after weeks away from the computer. It has everything. Adorable nephew, great food, bargains, wonderful crafts (the tea plaque is a tour-de-force!)and even beautiful scenery. I also love fall, for all the reasons you mentioned, plus my childhood memories of the beauty of 'back home' when the seasons change. Keep up the good writing!