Sunday, October 04, 2009

{Full Weekend}

On Saturday night we had plans to go see Cirque Du Soleil at the BJC in State College. We were SO thrilled as we are huge fans of Cirque. We left our house a little too early, so we had time to browse around Barnes and Noble and a little party/Halloween store to kill some time. We finally got to our destination and we were getting so excited to see this show! We didn't go 'all out' like we did last time by getting floor seating, but believe me, our seats were not cheap, by any means. So we get in the door and attempt to find our seats. We go up the stairs and up the stairs and up yet more stairs. We were the LAST row of seats in the entire place. I mean the wall was to our back. I was SO disappointed to say the least. It was so cramped, so uncomfortable, so high up that if you don't have 20/20 vision, you can't see much. I figured there was no sense in complaining about it because what was done was done, I thought I'd enjoy as much as I could. So, the show started and I love to see the detail of the costumes, the color, the sequins, the make-up, etc. but we could hardly make out what (or who) was on the stage let alone what color their shoes were. Such a bummer. At intermission, we waited for everyone in our row (we had end seats) to come back before we sat down. No one came. Half of our section didn't come back! I think they all decided to try to get better seats because not only was half of the 'good (or at least waaaay better) seats' empty, no one was checking seats, so they figured, "why not?". I should have followed suit. Oh well. The show was ok, but I'm assuming that a combination of bad seats and an altered show (because it was in an arena, not a tent) made it a not very exciting night. :(

Mason got some pretty cool pictures on our way there (these are in negative), perhaps he's got photography in his future:




Then Sunday rolls around and we decided to go to the Pittsburgh Renaissance Festival. Jason had gone to one of these when he was a kid and he still talks about it to this day. So, I thought we'd give it a try. To sum it up in one word: Odd. It was different and I am glad we went, but WOW, some of these people are strange!! I mean the ones who are not the actors but still come dressed from head to toe in medieval clothing! I felt like it was a midnight showing of Harry Potter with all the people in costumes! Overall though the experience was pretty neat. An actor was trying to get Jason to drink beer at 11am, a woman who hit us up for tips was showing us that she trained a 'bone' to do tricks, adding 'th' to everything seems to make the word sound old, selling single roses for $4 and making the man feel guilty for not buying one (by the way, I told Jason NOT to buy me one even before they hit him up for one), extremely dangerous games (ninja star and ax throwing, both of which my guys participated in) and really meaty food rounded out the day. We were looking at the program to find some shows to catch and this one looked funny, however it had a 'parents beware' sign meaning it was not appropriate for kids, so we moved on to the one that stated, "Good clean fun for the whole family". OMGosh, we had to leave, I almost had to put my hands over Mason's ears, I'd hate to see what the one that is not appropriate for kids was like. Wow. Here are some more highlights from the day:




Here is the creepy King and Queen, it so reminds me of the Burger king commercials!







Mason wanted to do the archery, but it was only under the condition that he didn't hit the 'deer', he had to aim for the straw. I didn't need to worry about that anyway because his aim was SO bad!! He thought it was much more fun to aim at the trees and trying to get it over the back drop! Jason, on the other hand shot the faux deer right in the heart, he will pay dearly.



Let's GO STEELERS, we NEED a win!!

1 comment:

Gwen said...

Obviously the Renaissance Faire has gotten a good deal more bloodthirsty since Jason was a kid. I have noticed this over the years in the news coverage.
Sorry to hear about the bad seats at Cirque, but you were right not to change at intermission. Live and learn about the arena show setup! Yes, that sounds like a very full weekend.