Monday, October 19, 2009

Farewell Football

Sunday marked the last flag football game Mason will have. He will move up to tackle next year (yeah!) and it will be a whole new experience. We did end up losing our last game and there were plenty of questionable calls, but oh well, the kids had a great season.





There there was an after party at a pizza place and I swear the highlight of the place was the prize machines, the ones that no one in their right mind would go buy at a store, but for some reason when aliens are wrapped up in a cheap plastic ball, they are the coolest toy ever! So in addition to the tons of cheapy toys, Mason gets these crazy teeth, that I have to admit are REALLY funny!!





My friend, Cherie finally bought a couple of packs of the Wegman's crumpets and she loved them just as much as I do, so in our never-ending search on how to make things cheaper, better and easier, she found a recipe on how to make crumpets! I was soooooo thrilled that I could hardly contain myself!! I immediately printed out the recipe and went to the store. I bought all fresh ingredients because who knows how long that flour had been sitting in my cabinets, I wanted them to be just perfect! I even bought a griddle and a sifter (I don't ever remember using a sifter!). The directions call for 'egg rings', I know what these are and had no idea it would be so difficult to find them. It was and I didn't. I searched high and low (ok maybe 4 stores, but still) and came up empty. I even enlisted Jason to search for them while he was working. There is a big kitchen store 'down the mountain' so, next time I'm out that way I will pick them up, I'm sure they carry them there. So instead I used some aluminum foil and made 'rings' with it. Back to the recipe. I very seldom, if ever use yeast, my knowledge of this product mainly comes from the lady at Walmart that was buying the same product and I played a game of 20 questions with her. She seemed very helpful, however she didn't know I was making crumpets, not bread and I didn't want to bug her anymore. It called for 'compressed yeast' or if that wasn't available to use 'dry yeast'. I bought the regular yeast and begged it to work. Can anyone give me info on the types of yeast? I have to admit the final product tasted good (not as good as Wegman's) but they looked more like biscuits, not crumpets. I will not give up on this recipe, I really want it to work!



I'll keep trying.

1 comment:

Gwen said...

These look pretty good to me. Until you get muffin rings, try shallow metal cans with both ends removed, i.e. the kind tuna comes in (I know you don't eat that). Probably there is something in the pantry that will do. How about those little cans that pineapple chunks come in?