Wednesday, December 02, 2009

Can you believe it's December already!!

Some things that have been going on:

*(Un)Turkey Day, of course! On the menu was a Tofurky, regular turkey, mashed potatoes, baked corn, stuffing, buns, cranberry sauce (jellied, not whole) and pumpkin pie! I also made a to-die-for chocolate truffle brownie cheesecake. It was soooooo good!

Tofurkey: (it was delish!!)


Ready to dig in:



Thanksgiving morning I wanted to make a special breakfast, but for lack of planning, it wasn't looking good. Perhaps a bowl of 'Smores' cereal was as good as it was going to get for Mason! But no fear, I had bought a baguette at Panera for dinner one night and never used it. Fearing it had gone bad, I quickly decided to try to make french toast with it, after all, everyone was still asleep so if it didn't turn out, no one would ever know! But it did turn out, in fact it was the best french toast I had ever made. It was so good that Mason had three helpings, Jason had two and I snuck a few extra on my plate while dishing out the extra helpings! I can't eat maple syrup ( because I can't stomach it), but it didn't even need it!






*I've had little to no motivation to go grocery shopping because of the crowds/laziness and it's been too cold to get out of the car (well, not really but I needed another excuse to not have any food in the house for my family!) so I just decided to throw a bunch of odds and ends from my cabinets and fridge into the crock pot and am anxiously awaiting to see what comes out. I added a can of Amy's lentil soup, 2 cans of stewed tomatoes, half a bag of potatoes, chopped, 1 can of veggie broth, 1 can refried beans, some spices and carrots that I had chopped in the fridge, on the edge of going bad (note to self: 2 big bags of carrots = more carrots than one family can eat in a short amount of time). So, we'll see what kind of 'stew' it turns out to be, I might add some couscous towards the end of cooking.

*Mason's 9th birthday arrived! We went to the Waffle shop for a wonderful breakfast and then he went shopping with Grandma and Grandpa for the entire afternoon. He had a blast and it was a real joy to just have some family time!


*After a very cold rain the other day I was outside and spotted this leaf:



GigantoLeaf. It must have been 12 inches long! I have no idea where this leaf came from, all the other leaves look like this:



I only saw the leaf once and it's gone now, it was the biggest leaf I have ever seen in our yard!

*Christmas cards are in the making, keeping fingers crossed that they make it to the post office by December 24th.

*Christmas cookies were baking on Saturday. Mason was very excited to help, then he didn't wake up until 12 noon, so I got most of them done, and wouldn't you know that all the snicker doodles are now gone! They were really good (so I was told).

*Our ice maker isn't working, we take for granted all the conveniences of our everyday life that this becomes such a burden. I NEED ICE IN MY DRINKS!!


Have a great day!

2 comments:

Gwen said...

An art thought: Take the photo of the big leaf and blow it up as an artwork. The image is absolutely beautiful and reminds me of some very high-quality semi-abstract paintings I have seen.
Thanksgiving sounds like it was delicious, please post an update to the 'crock pot surprise.'
I would say anyone who is already baking Christmas cookies is far from lazy!

madcapfrenzy said...

What a big leaf! 12 inches?! wow. Your tofu turkey reminds me of a co-worker of Gwen and I's, he had one of those too, but I don't think his turned out as good as yours. :)
Have fun with your Christmas cards!